Camping tips for Sahyadris and Western Ghats

abhijitj78

IBRIGADE
Planning Commission
Reaction score
Past few year, Mumbai chapter has seen a rise in Riding + camping events. While guys carry tents and sleeping bags which are integral part for “Camping”, but that’s not the only criteria for camping. Sometimes the planning can be inadequate and ill prepared in terms of choosing proper camp sites and understanding the terrain and local areas.

Western Ghats are declared as UNESCO World Heritage Site and is one of the eight "hottest hot-spots" of biological diversity in the world, Inhabited with wild animals and poisonous snakes, plethora of insects and reptiles. And believe me, it can spring a few surprises which may turn fatal if care is not taken (I have seen few incidents in my 15-16 years of Camping & Trekking)

Below are some guidelines I feel would help in setting up camp

1. Always reach the camp Site before its dark. This is of utmost important. So plan your rides accordingly. There’s this common misconception that Mumbai IBRian wherein they always reach destinations after its dark, even for rides less than 250kms. This thought process should change on a camping trip.
  2. Pitch the tents away from Crevices, rocks and piles of leaves. Snakes and Other Insects hide in shade during the day and come out for food and warmth when it gets colder at night.
    Watch out for scorpions. This small fella crawled up the pants of one the trekker.

[img=437x291]http://indiabullriders.com/sites/default/files/u61/scorpion.jpg[/img]
    This small fella crawled up the pants of one the trekker

3. Never leave tent doors open. Insects and snakes may crawl inside.
  4. Set the camp a few feet besides Trees or Bushes to avoid winds
  5. Set the fire away from tents to prevent sparks and fires
  6. Avoid Deos and perfumes. These attract the insects and bees
  7. Learn basic first aid.
  8. Try to be in full pants in the wild.
  9. Try not to keep and leftovers, garbage, cooking utensils in the open. These may attract animals
  10. Keep camp site clean and do not litter. Carry and thrash bag and dispose off the plastics at the next available dustbin.
Things to carry, apart from food and drinks

• Tens Of course
  • Sleeping Bags
  • Insect repellants
  • Carry Enough water
  • Antiseptic/ Band aids for Cuts and Burns, Antacids, pain killers and basic medication
  • Insect repellent

The most important point. Always keep handy details of the emergency contact details and medical needs like allergy details of the fellow rider.